Sunday, October 20, 2013

Promise Fulfilled

When I started Promise of Tomorrow, I was not quite sure where the story would take me. As I finished Volume 6: Deliverance, it surprised me how far it went.


From the beginning, I asked "How far would you go to keep your faith?"

I feel like that question had several levels. For the protagonist, Luke Umble, it is answered in two ways. The story developed into something more than "Amish in Space". To me, it is about keeping faith no matter what life hands you. Set 50 years in the future, the Umble family is escaping a dying Earth. However, many of the problems and joys that they find on their adventure are similar to what we face on a daily basis. How do you keep your children safe from bullying? How do you feed your family when things are tight? How does a grown man relate to his father? How does a father relate to his rebellious teen son? Any of this sound familiar?

I wish I could say my little story dispenses wisdom by the bucketful. At least I can say this is my take on it. I believe man (or woman) can only go so far on wits and self-reliance. It is faith that carries us over that last gap. I don't think God is sitting up there on a cloud looking down at the Earth. I believe His power and love crosses the limitless universe. The only time we are away from Him is when we choose to be, when we lose faith. Part of the message of Promise of Tomorrow is that we cannot do it on our own. We need faith especially when we feel like we are in a hopeless situation.

What is waiting for us out there in space? Another Eden, perhaps?

(from the movie Knowing)

Enough pontificating. Besides being inspirational, it is a good sci-fi story, but nothing too heavy. I did my research and hopefully it shows. Underneath it all, however, I am still a fantasy writer, so please don't knock me too hard when my sprockets don't line up with the flux capacitor. Ultimately, this is a story about people which happens to be set on a spaceship.

I would appreciate it if you pick up volume 6 for only 99 cents on Kindle, Nook or Kobo.

Here is the Kindle link:

Also, it would be great to hear from you. Please share your answers to any of the questions above or your thoughts on the story in the comments or on my Facebook page:


2 comments:

  1. I loved your thoughts on this book. It sounds like it would be an intriguing and thought provoking read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I would love to hear your thoughts if you get a chance to read the story.

    ReplyDelete