Monday, December 9, 2013

Guest Post - Adrienne Woods

Adrienne Woods tells us about her writing process:

It took me three years to write Firebolt of the Dragonian Series. I have about nine drafts of Firebolt.

The story of Elena and the dragons took me an entire week to see everything in my mind. It took me three more weeks to see the entire series. The first book, Firebolt, took me about a month to write. I couldn’t stop. Then I changed some scenes, so I rewrote it a second time to make sure that everything fit perfectly. I always rewrite, because I’ve read many novels where they just changed the mistakes and then you have two versions of plots that played out differently. No joke. I’ve seen it in some novels, good novels.

With the second draft I sent it, as is, to four beta readers. People I don’t know because they didn’t have a reason not to be blunt and tell me what they found wrong with it. This was purely to find out if the layout of the story and how everything was moving forward worked or not. I asked them to concentrate on boring scenes, scenes that felt a bit out of the story, like it didn’t belong, and scenes that didn’t sound realistic.

After they came back to me, I changed whatever they didn’t like, leaving me with draft number three. Then I met a writing group and all of them helped me with my grammar, sentence structure, writing mechanics, etc. I never knew any of those little points existed in writing until I met this group, leaving me with draft four.

Draft five came with a book I read about Self Copy Editing for Fictional Writers, written by King and Brown. They told me about the showing vs. telling, something I still struggle with, and again the mechanics when it comes to dialogue; sentences that aren’t necessary and other mistakes of that type. So I edited, took out, revised, and changed scenes that slowed down my story. I’ve got to add, that this book should be on every writer’s shelf.

Developing draft six, was when I sent it out to two new beta readers. They were also strangers, and this time I asked them to concentrate on everything.

Draft seven emerged from their thoughts and I took it back to my writing group, and that is where draft eight was born.

Draft nine came with my editor, Hillery, which changed my novel from about 89,000 to 94,000 words.

Her input came mostly through descriptions she felt lack of meat. (As I call it) That went to two beta readers, and two proof readers. The final product will be released on November 20th of 2013.

I’ve read this novel about eighty times, no lie. My opening chapter changed four times. Every time I read it, I found one or two mistakes. Don’t ever think you can do it without help. The reason why I had so many beta readers is because once you read the novel, and fix it’s mistakes, you are already too close to the manuscript. That is why I had two proof readers revise after my manuscript was edited by Hillery. There will always be a mistake here and there. I’ve seen it in bestselling novels, and to catch all the mistakes, you need a team of people not just one. So next time you’re writing a novel, keep in mind, not everyone out there wants to steal your work, some of them really want to help you.

Kind Wishes,
Adrienne Woods.

Firebolt Book 1 of The Dragonian Series by Adrienne Woods
Title: Firebolt
Series: The Dragonian Series Book One
Author: Adrienne Woods
Genre: YA Fantasy
Publisher: GMTA  Publishing – Mythos Press
Date of Publication: 20th November 2013
ISBN: 13: 978-1491244654
Number of pages: 289
Word Count: 95 000
Cover Artist: Mary Park and Kitty Bullard
Book Description
Dragons. Right. Teenage girls don't believe in fairy tales, and sixteen-year-old Elena Watkins was no different.
Until the night a fairy tale killed her father.
Now Elena is in a new world, and a new school. The cutest guy around may be an evil dragon, a prince wants Elena's heart, and a long dead sorcerer may be waking up to kill her. Oh and the only way Elena's going to graduate is on the back of a dragon of her own.
Teenage girls don't believe in fairy tales. Now it's time for Elena to believe in...herself.

Author Bio:
I was born and raised in South Africa, where I still live with my husband, and two beautiful little girls. I always knew that I was going to be a writer but it only started to happen about four years ago, now I can’t stop writing.
In my free time, If I get any because Moms don’t really have free time, I love to spend time with friends, if it’s a girls night out, or just a movie, I’m a very chilled person.
My writing career is starting with Firebolt, book one with the Dragonian Series, there will be four books in total and two to three books that is about the stories taking place inside The Dragonian Series.
I do write in different Genres, I have a woman’s fiction called the Pregnancy Diaries, but it would be published under another name. And then I have a paranormal series, called the Watercress series. There are about ten novels in that one.
So, plenty of novels to come out, so little time.
I hope you are going to embrace the Dragonian Series as much as I loved writing them.
Connect with Adrienne
Blog http://woodsadrienne.wordpress.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dragonian-Series/301375039891281
Twitter: erichb3
Goodreads: Adrienne Woods
Google+: Adrienne Woods
Tour Dates
Firebolt Book 1 Dragonian Series by Adrienne Woods
Monday the 9th of December: From the Land of Empyrean
http://empyricaltales.blogspot.com  Spotlight and Guest Post with Mark
Tuesday the 10th of December: Deborah Jay
http://deborahjayauthor.com/ Excerpt and Spotlight with Deborah
Wednesday the 11th of December: Fantasy Ultimate
http://www.fantasy-ultimate.blogspot.com/ Spotlight and Guest post with Grace

 Friday the 13th December: Book Lovers Paradise
http://bookloversparadise.blogspot.com  Spotlight with Donna

Monday the 16th December: Have You Heard Book Review
http://haveyouheardbookreview.blogspot.com/  Spotlight and Guest post with Melanie
Wednesday the 18th December: Cherese Vines Charming Words
www.cheresevinescharmingwords.wordpress.com   
Friday the 20th December: Paperback Hero Aaron
http://paperbackheroaaron.blogspot.com/   Spotlight and Guest post with Aaron
Monday 23rd December: Indie Author How To
http://indieauthor-howto.blogspot.com   Spotlight and guestpost with Kisha
Tuesday 24th  December: One Saga The
www.theonesaga.com  Spotlight and Interview with Matthew
 Thursday 27th December. Crossroad Reviews
http://www.crossroadreviews.com
Friday 28th December: Reading in Twilight
http://readingintwilight.blogspot.com  Spotlight with Julianna

No comments:

Post a Comment