Thursday, December 12, 2013

Guest Post - Travis Perry

I'm an aspiring interstellar dictator...er, I mean, "writer," who's produced a bit of military non-fiction, loves science fiction and fantasy short stories, especially those with a Christian twist, and has contributed to several collections of them, most notably Aquasynthesis (2011) and Avenir Eclectia (2012). I co-authored The Crystal Portal (2011) with Mike Lynch, having written the tale first and then getting help from Mike for serious editorial changes, including reordering the story from start to finish and a climactic scene originally written by Mr. Lynch. I get more and more fun out of editing (perish the thought), and am rather full of oddball speculations (though I'm trying hard to get empty, please see http://travissbigidea.blogspot.com/ ).

Probably because of our past working together, Mike emailed me and asked if I'd be interested in writing a story for his series. I read "No Revolution is Too Big" and liked it, especially the character Stelfson, but I had no idea what I wanted to write to contribute to the series. Finally, after racking my brain for a while, the title of Mike's tale itself inspired my story, since I simply took the idea of a "big revolution" and turned it on its head for my tale, "No Revolution Too Small."

I also happen to be a father of six who is also an Army Reserve officer who has served in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Africa, so you really would think I'd write more military stuff than I do, though a bit of my military knowledge is reflected in my portrayal of the Defense Controllers in "No Revolution Too Small"...

No comments:

Post a Comment